Thursday, May 16, 2013

photoshop + recipes = cheapo kitchen art.

So, let me preface this by stating that I am in no way a photoshop expert.  In fact, I am pretty much last on the photoshop wagon and might be just about the farthest thing from an expert on the matter.  There is, however, one thing I know about the program.  Photoshop allows you to very easily create a canvas of any size you want (as I'm sure is true with any photo editing tool).  This means that I can make FREE art for any frame in my house... which in turn means I can make these:

DIY Recipe Art

I picked three of our favorite recipes: Chicken Croissants was a delicacy that my mom made while we were growing up.  The Turkey Chili is a recipe that my dad shared with us shortly before he passed.  And the Spiders are a favorite from Bubba's mom, and also the most requested dessert in our extended family.

As far as the nitty-gritty how-to, all I did was sit down with three recipe cards and a glass (ahem, bottle) of wine.  I opened photoshop and created a canvas of the size I wanted to fit in the frame.  I did this by going to File > New.  When the new window pops up, you just have to change a few things instead of simply clicking OK.

Next to the arrow, you will see a spot for height and width.  Enter your desired dimensions in inches.  Directly to the right of those values will be a dropdown menu.  Select "inches" instead of "pixels."  Click OK and you've got yourself a blank canvas, and from there, you can add your text and graphics in whatever fashion you like.  You're on your own for that part, because my finished product is just the result of moving things around until I liked it.  Anyway, here are the close-ups:

DIY Recipe Art

DIY Recipe Art

DIY Recipe Art

They admittedly took longer than I would've liked, but they fill the wall in the kitchen just right, and everyone who comes over comments on them.  There's not much I like more than personal art.


No comments:

Post a Comment