Thursday, May 23, 2013

our zero dollar photo wall.

Okay, you caught me.  Our zero dollar photo wall is in all likelihood a five or six dollar photo wall.  You see, I always have a few spare picture frames lying around, but I have an addiction to swiping my debit card, and I can't help myself from picking up a few interesting ones at the Goodwill just to spice it up when I'm working on a collage.  Two of the frames in this project are new to me.  Everything else is already owned or fabricated by yours truly.

I think that one of the most difficult tasks when it comes to home decor is making art cohesive and appropriately scaled.  By this, I mean that an 8x10 of Remy and a poster of Channing Tatum are not going to cut it.  Not only do they not match, they surely can't anchor a wall or piece of furniture.  Frame collages are a great tool, because they can be made in any shape, size, and color, and the contents can be personalized.  We have one with family photos and sentimental type stuff above our piano in the living room, but here's one that I whipped up for the kitchen:

kitchen photo wall

Just in case you're wondering, here's the who's who when it comes to what's inside my creamy white frames:

photo wall descriptions

1.  Scrapbook paper.  Valentine's Day.
2.  Lyrics to "Lucky" by Jason Mraz and Colbie Callait, which was our wedding song.  I simply searched the lyrics in Google Images.  If I owe you credit, let me know.
3.  Pinterest find.  Bryan says this one is his favorite, because it is what our kitchen usually looks like.
4.  Another Pinterest image.  Seriously, I have an entire board of art that I plan to print and use.  This one is near and dear to me, because my mom had a little rooster theme going on while I was growing up.
5.  A card from my mother-in-law.  It reminds us of the town where we got married.
6.  Go spraypaint a place setting -- it's so cute, no?
7.  This is my favorite piece up there, but if you zoom in and are crazy like me, you'll notice that something doesn't quite add up.. 
8.  This one just screams one of these things is not like the other, and will probably be cut by week's end. I've got a greeting card in mind for this slot.

kitchen photo wall

So, what do you think?  Am I the only one who makes art of things just lying around the house?  Anyone have tips on a great, sentimental (and cheap!) project?  

No comments:

Post a Comment